The pores you see on your skin are actually hair follicle openings that serve as a way out for body toxins and perspiration. Sometimes these pores can become enlarged and when they become big in size, they can be seen with the naked eye.
Pores typically become large on oily and aging skin. When they get big, sometimes debris and oil such as sebum from within the skin get clogged within them. If you get more enlarged pores on your skin, it means that you are prone to pimple breakouts.
What Exactly Causes Skin Pores to Become Large?
- Enlarged pores are typically caused by genetics. Other causes for big pore size is oily skin since the excess oil that sits around the pores of the skin can make them appear large in size.
Unclean or unmanaged oily skin can cause the oils to clog around the pores which makes them appear larger as the skin around the pore starts to thicken. The skin can also thicken due to aging or damage from the sun since it causes the skin cells to build up around the opening of skin pores.
Most cosmetic products serve as a magnet for oils and dirt which leads to enlarged pores. So the best way to deal with this problem is to use a makeup remover to remove the makeup thoroughly.
- Contrary to popular belief, blackheads do not cause enlarged skin pores. They are though an undesirable side effect because when the dirt settles into large skin pores, they can make the pores darker which leads to the formation of blackheads.
As you age, the sebaceous gland in your skin, and your skin cell’s renewal activity and collagen production significantly slows down. Thus it leads to large pores. When skin loses its elasticity as a result of aging, the pores may seem to appear larger than before.
How Can You Get Rid of Skin Pores?
- You cannot actually get rid of skin pores if they are caused by genetics, however, there are many ways you can minimize the size of the pores and their appearance.
The best advice most dermatologists have for women is to clean makeup every night with a good makeup remover product. After that, skin cleansing can be a good addition to keep the pores tight.
- Another great way to reduce the appearance of large pores is to use toner products that tighten the skin. Exfoliators are also quite effective in this regard since they can slow down dead skin cells and prevent skin pores from getting larger. Facial masks can also be used for the same purpose.
In order to keep your skin healthy, firm, and free from enlarged skin pores, ensure to moisturize your skin plenty. Moisturizing is essential for the skin because it nourishes it and keeps it well hydrated. This way you will be able to create an invisible barrier between the pores and oils.
Natural Ingredients to Fight Large Skin Pores
- If you are someone who likes a natural approach rather than buying synthetic skincare products, there are actually quite a few ingredients you can use to help reduce the appearance of enlarged skin pores, thus controlling acne breakouts.
When buying your next natural skincare product, look for one that has Clary in it. It is a herb that prevents oil production in the skin. You can also look for products with Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA).
- Many exfoliators are made with AHA which significantly improves the appearance of the skin, treats acne, and cleanse your face by removing debris from the skin.
You can also try clay facial masks that naturally detoxify the skin and prevent the pores from looking larger. Just be sure to check the mask before you apply it to prevent it from irritating your skin.
Large skin pores are the most common causes of acne on the skin. Regardless of what skin type you have, if oils and debris clog your pores, you will be able to see them on the surface of the skin.
Use skin care products designed to reduce these pores, especially if you have naturally oily skin or skin that is sun-damaged. When you look after your skin, the pores tend to stay normal and thus acne breakouts are avoided.